You are amazing. Remember that.
-- AISLYNN THOMAS-MCDONALD --
Aislynn Thomas-McDonald, Attorney
Mrs. McDonald practices Family and Probate Law. While Mrs. McDonald is recognized throughout Florida for her success in the courtroom, she contributed to the advancement of Mediation and Collaborative Divorce practices in family law from North to South Florida. She has also dedicated years of her life to teaching, advocating for domestic violence awareness and prevention, children’s legal advocacy, the literary arts and women’s rights.
Family legal issues have lifelong consequences, so it is crucial to retain a lawyer who is trusted by colleagues and clients. Attorney Thomas-McDonald has earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, a recognition of her superior legal ability and ethics by attorneys familiar with her work.
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator (2015 – present)
- J.D., Florida International University (2012)
- M.S., Mississippi College (2005)
- B.A., American University of Paris (2001)
- Fluency in French & English Languages
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Trial and Appellate Practice
- Divorce, Child Custody/Time-Sharing, Marital Agreements
- Adoption and Surrogacy Law
- Collaborative Divorce/Family Law (Certified Training Completed March 2017)
- Probate Administration & Litigation
- Wills and Trusts
- Guardianship & Elder Law
- Family Mediation
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator (Certified Training Completed 2015)
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Florida Bar
- Assistant Professor, English Dept, Miami-Dade College 2007-2009
- Adjunct Professor, English Dept, Belhaven College 2005-2007
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Monroe County Bar Association
- Member, Duval County Bar Association
- Member, Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Dean’s Alumni Circle, FIU College of Law
- Volunteer, Alumni Circle, the Fund for American Studies
- Volunteer, Chapman Partnership for the Homeless
- Volunteer, Pro-Literacy
- Volunteer, The Bolles School, Parent Association (2014-present)
- Past Board member (2013-2015) of Baptist Health South Florida Foundation (BHSF)
- BHSF Founder’s Society Member (2014-present)
- Board Member (2013-2015), Women’s Committee for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami
- Board Member (2012-2014), The Growing Place, Early Education Center, First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables
I truly care about helping people. When I began my career teaching, I loved making an indelible impact in lives of impressionable college age students. When I realized I could couple this passion for people, while helping them make positive life changes – a legal profession became my natural fit. In law, there is a potential impact for exponential positive change. Our laws are shaped by statutes and cases. Every case tells a story and help shapes the outcome of similar stories/cases in the future by the judge’s decisions in the present. But, ultimately, I have realized families should be kept out of court. Creative solutions for unique family needs are best determined by themselves – not an arbitrary judge who doesn’t understand every nuance of each situation.
Breakdown in communication is the leading indicator of family problems. Solutions may be as simple as direct communication with a skilled professional about your feelings, who can help navigate you through the legal process to resolve your present conflict. We work with a party in a confidential setting to reach the client’s objective, while minimizing attorney fees and unnecessary court costs. Our goal is to help you reach a peaceful and inexpensive resolution to your family matter.